Emergency Generator Tips
- Avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning by NEVER operating the generator indoors or near openings (windows, doors and vents) to any building that can be occupied.
- Do not use while wet. Generators pose a risk of shock and electrocution, especially if they are operated in wet conditions.
- NEVER connect directly to a home or building's wiring without using a qualified, licensed electrician. This is extremely dangerous and may send electricity to the power lines CWL employees are working to restore.
- Use proper extension cords. Connect appliances to the generator using heavy-duty extension cords that are specifically designed for outdoor use or directly into the proper electrical outlet on the generator itself.
- When in use, the GENERATOR MUST BE ISOLATED FROM CWL'S ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.
The primary hazards to avoid when using a generator are carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning from the toxic engine exhaust, electric shock or electrocution and fire.
For more information please see the following Entergy website