Understanding where and how much water we use is the first step in beginning to conserve one of our most precious resources. This simple home water check-up will allow you to track your household consumption, both indoors and outdoors. After calculating your water use patterns, you can begin conserving in ways that work best with your lifestyle.
Indoor Water Use
1. How many showers are taken each day in your household?
2. What is the average length (in minutes) of each shower? (6.3 If Unsure)
3. What is the flow rate (gallons/p min) of your showerhead? (5 standard, 2 low flow)
4. Total # of baths taken each week in your house?
1. Average # of times each person flushes a toilet in your house per day.
2. How many gallons does your toilet use per flush? (5 for standard; 1.6 for low volume)
1. How many times each day does each household member use faucets to shave, brush teeth, wash hands, etc?
2. How many minutes does the water run during each use?
1. How many times are dishes washed by hand each day?
2. How many minutes does the water run during each wash?
3. If you have a dishwasher, how many times is it used per week?
4. Avg Dishwasher uses 15gallons of water per load, change if yours is different.
1. How many loads of laundry are done in your house each week?
2. The average washing machine uses 55 gallons of water per load, change this if yours is different.
Outdoor Water Use
Lawn Watering & Other Uses
1. How many times is your lawn watered each week?
2. How many minutes is the lawn watered per watering?
3. Estimate average minutes of water use for other things (washing cars, filling pools, rinsing furniture, cleaning, etc).